Pottery has been an important part of human culture for thousands of years. From prehistoric storage jars to ceremonial bowl, pottery has played a key role in innumerable human endeavors. Pottery is generally considered to be containers made from clay. “Pot” is a term used for any number of container forms. Both words derive from the Old English potian, “to push”. When we consider how the potter pushes as they throw the clay on the wheel, it is easy to see how the process got its name. The term “pottery” may also be used as an adjective with some objects, such as small figurines. (About.com Pottery)
In this assignment you are going to learn how each culture has a difference way of visually expressing itself through the tradition of pottery. After reading Chapter 2.6 in your textbook and watching the 3 videos below write 3 paragraphs think about how each culture has a different way of visually expressing itself through the tradition of pottery. Use the questions below to inform your discussion.
· What interested you most about each pottery tradition?
· What makes each culture recognizable to the outside world?
· How are some traditions and potters similar to each other?
· How are they different?
· Are the reasons for carrying on tradition the same? How?
Grading Criteria (300 Words)
· Three paragraphs
· Descriptive comments about each culture’s pottery traditions.
· What you found interesting about the different potters.
· Examples of how they are different and similar.
· I will also be looking for answers that show you have reviewed all the material and have organized your thoughts before writing.
· I will look for facts, fact-based opinions and personal responses.