Another instructional method used in humanities content area instruction is the Socratic Seminar. The Socratic Seminar is a formal discussion of a specific text, in which open-ended questions are discussed. During the discussion, students think critically about the text, listen closely to the comments of others, and respond with their thoughts and their responses to the thoughts of others.
Part 1: Proposal
Create a proposal for a staff meeting/professional development you would like to present to your colleagues. Use the “Socratic Seminar Professional Development Proposal” to explain the Socratic Seminar to administrators, how it can be implemented in the classroom, and why it would be valuable to other teachers.
Your proposal should include:
· Rationale for the proposal explaining why you would like to share this information at a staff meeting/professional development
· Detailed description of the Socratic Seminar process as it would be implemented in a humanities content area classroom
· State standard within your content area, and another state standard for an additional humanities content area to use as an example for the humanities concept/learning engagement experience. (You may use the same standard you used for assignments in Topic 1 and Topic 2 or select a different standard.)
· A learning objective that could be used for cross-disciplinary instruction
· Engaging learning experience example aligned with the identified standards and objective and including cross-disciplinary content that incorporates humanities subjects outside the content area
· Example of one strategy that can be used in the learning experience to differentiate to meet the needs of diverse students
Part 2: Reflection
Along with your proposal, include a 250-500 word reflection on the importance of including the Socratic Seminar as an instructional method when teaching a humanities content area.
· How is the Socratic Seminar well-suited to cross-disciplinary instruction in humanities content areas?
· How will you implement the Socratic Seminar in your future professional practice?
Support your reflection with at least two scholarly resources.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.