Generate a list of the social identities most important to you. Then organize the list according to their salience to you and label each section of the chart.
· Looking at the list, which social identity is most important to you?
· What kinds of benefits do you get from this identity? If you suddenly could no longer claim this identity, how would you feel?
· What relationships and resources would you lose? Would you lose other social benefits?
· Think of a behavior or two that is repugnant to people within that group. What social conditions could compel you to act that way? Do you know people who have engaged in that behavior?
· How did they reconcile the conflict between their identity and their actions?
· What sort of vocabularies of motive did they—or could you—use to convince themselves and others to act in that way?