1. What was “reborn in the Renaissance”?
2. Why Francesco Petrarch is called the “father of Humanism”
3. What is your definition of a “Renaissance Man”?
4. What contributions did Leonardo da Vinci make in this period?
5. Why is William Shakespeare unique and studied 400 years after his death?
6. Describe the Black Death.
7. What was Gutenberg’s achievement?
8. How did the idea of a “nation-state” emerge?
9. Write a short 3 to 5 sentence about the following : (5 points each)
b) Thomas More
c) Martin Luther
“The Invention of Scientific Method” (5 points each) (25 points total)
1. What are three characteristics of Science, according to the author?
2. Write a short 3 to 5 sentence paragraph about the following:
b) Johannes Kepler
c) Galileo Galilei
d) Rene Descartes
1. John Locke’s “Second Treatise on Civil Government” concerns the interconnection of three great ideas. What were they?
2. Why did the British government contend that American colonists could not be directly represented in Parliament? What is the difference between “direct representation” and “virtual representation”? What was the American view on this issue compared to the British view?
3. What were the four fundamental principles in Thomas Jefferson’s draft of the Declaration of Independence?
4. From “Releasing Nature’s Energies”, the author writes of the contribution of Thomas Alva Edison. What were his most significant contributions to the modern world?
5. From “Ruling Ourselves” what was the significance of the following : (10 points)
a) Magna Carta
b) Constitution of the United States