For this essay assignment, you will need to select one or more primary sources that correspond to any of the historical periods that we will review in this class. You will then perform a close reading of that source or sources and write your essay with supporting examples. You will also use additional secondary sources to support your essay and for background information. Remember that sources similar to Wikipedia should be avoided.
The essay is to be typed, 4-5 pages in length, size 12 font, Times New Roman, double-spaced, and turned in on the due date. You must cite all sources according to the Chicago style format. http://www.citationmachine.net/chicago/cite-a-book
You will be submitting your paper to the corresponding Canvas module.
The analysis paper should begin with an introductory paragraph and a thesis statement. The introductory paragraph needs to be followed by several supporting paragraphs that answer the questions listed below and support your thesis statement.
Clarify the historical context (author and audience, date, central issue) of the primary source.
1. What is the title of the primary source? Make sure to include the title of the document in the intro.
2. Explain the historical context of the primary source.
3. When was the document written?
4. Who is the author?
5. Who is the intended audience?
6. What is the central issue?
7. What does the document tells us about the historical era?
8. What is the author’s background or position in society?
9. What is the author’s bias? What does the author feel strongly in favor of or strongly against?
10. What does the primary source tell us about the historical era?