Video: “Hiring at the Container Store”
The Discussion questions are based on the video. Watch the video and read the video document provided. Answer the questions below in this unit’s Discussion.
1. Describe the Container Store’s selection process and how it helped to create their success.
2. Describe how the Container store uses Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs to create its foundation of HR practices.
Support your response with information from the textbook or other academic source.
McGraw Hill Education (Producer). (n.d.). The Container Store. Retrieved from http://bevideos.mhhe.com/business/video_library/0077437187/mp4/Clip_09.mp4
HRM ASSIGNMENT Please the book for Fundamentals of Human Resources Management, 7th Edition Publisher McGraw-Hill Learning Solutions. PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THE REFEREFNCES
Case Study Analysis: Recruitment and Hiring Practices
This case study analysis assesses the following outcomes:
MT203-2: Examine the recruitment and selection process.
PC-4.3: Apply concepts of multiculturalism and diversity to become an agent of change.
You have read about recruiting and selection processes used in various companies as well as practiced with some of those concepts. Now you will apply your understanding of these concepts to a case scenario and then address the checklist items.
To assist you with this and other case studies in this class, a document entitled “Case Study Analysis,” is in Course Documents and can be downloaded for your reference. This document, and many other invaluable writing resources, can also be found at the Writing Center.
A Silicon Valley recruiting firm recruits artificial intelligence (AI) and technology personnel. The recruits workplace could be located anywhere the company operates, depending on their skills and expertise, although the tendency is to hire in-country nationals in each respective country. The company uses technology-oriented magazines, the company website, and social media to recruit the candidates they need for their clients. They started up about a year ago and went from 3 recruiters to 50 overnight. Their recruiters are hired for their charm, communication skills, and industry expertise, however most of the recruiters graduated from Ivy League colleges in the U.S. and most are white males. Lately recruiting numbers have been slowing down drastically while general demand in the marketplace by employers for AI and technology personnel for the coming year is up 300%.
The current recruiting practice involves hiring people via their website recruitment area. The potential candidate merely attaches their resume and includes a short note to the recruiter. These resumes are then screened using a data mining program looking for certain criteria and terminology in their resumes. Once screened, those candidates getting through the initial screening are then auto-contacted by email to tell them they need to complete the question/quiz accessed on the website using a particular password. If they pass this second screening they are given an individual interview via the company’s online conference room. Once completed, the final candidates are finally sent to the potential employer for the final interview and selection.
Now however, the president is getting complaints from the EEO Commission and the Technology firms that they need to be hiring a more diverse workforce and that there are no ADA candidates, and the number of minorities and women is almost nil. He is now worried about losing clients and potential lawsuits as a result of their recruiting and selection processes. The company needs to address a diverse client base. Their clients are Northern European, African American, Indian, and Hispanic.
Checklist: As the HR specialist of the company, you are tasked with overhauling the selection and hiring process to address the following:
· Identify problems with the potential candidate characteristics.
· Analyze the company’s recruitment and selection process and problems.
· What multicultural and diversity planning concepts would you apply at the company to make a positive change?
· Describe how you would make that positive change happen.
Access the rubric
1. Use the Case Study Template (available in Course Documents) to format your paper.
2. Complete a 2–3 page paper (not including the title and reference pages).
3. Answer each checklist question thoroughly.
4. Demonstrate your understanding of the information presented in the weekly reading assignments by defining terms, explaining concepts, and providing detailed examples to illustrate your points.
5. Include at least two references from your reading assignments, or other academic sources, to reinforce and support your own thoughts, ideas, and statements using APA citation style. You can access help with APA by going to Course Resources and accessing the “APA Style Central” resources in Academic Tools.