Helen’s Wisdom Of Friends Dilemma
Week 1 Discussion 1: Helen’s Wisdom of Friends Dilemma
No unread replies.11 reply.
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 1, 5, 12 (section: “Introduction”; “The Classical Period”; and Appendix – “Writing about Moral Issues”)
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source
Helen wants to move to a new community, and she is applying for a job with a small retail establishment. She is confident that she is fully qualified and will be able to perform well if she gets the job. The employer, however, has advertised for someone with three years of retail experience, and Helen only has two-and-a-half years. She is considering whether to exaggerate slightly on her resume in order to improve her chances of getting the job.
Helen asks three friends to offer their advice on what she should do.
- Henry says, “Go ahead and claim three-and-a-half years of experience; they’re going to be so happy with your work that by the time they check (if they ever do) it won’t matter.”
- Jennifer says, “I’m sure you’ll arrive at the best decision on your own; I’ve always known you to be an honest person.”
- George says, “It is never all right to lie, even when you are unlikely to get caught and it seems relatively harmless to do so.”
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, address all of the following questions relating to the dilemma:
- Upon which of the Three Primary Schools of Ethics is each of Helen’s friends relying? Explain your reasoning.
- Can you imagine other people using the same approaches to arrive at different kinds of advice? Provide examples.
- Do one of these Three Primary Schools of Ethics feel like the style you usually use already? Explain.
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least two peers or one peer and the instructor. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification.
- Minimum of 3 posts (1 initial & 2 follow-up)
- Minimum of 2 sources cited (assigned readings/online lessons and an outside source)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
This activity will be graded using the Discussion Grading Rubric. Please review the following link:
- Link (webpage): Discussion Guidelines
Order a Unique Copy of this Paper