1. You have just completed a study of discharge data (table below) for the prior year. You have been asked to graph this data and indicate where the areas have increased or decreased. You can use Excel or a specialized statistical package to create this graph. Place a screenshot showing your results underneath the data table.
2. The table below shows a frequency distribution of persons who received an organ transplant in the United States during the year 20xx.
a. Compute the proportion of patients in each category. Calculate to 3 digits after the decimal point. Place your answers in the Proportion column of the table below.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
ORGAN TRANSPLANTS PERFORMED
Annual Statistics 20xx
TYPE OF TRANSPLANT
NO. OF PATIENTS RECEIVING TRANSPLANTS
b. Using the information in the table above, convert the proportion into a percentage and complete a bar graph showing the transplant types performed in 20xx. Insert your graph (or screenshot of your graph) below.
3. There were 16 babies born at McGill Community Hospital during the first week of July. The following represent the weight of those babies: 4.6, 5.8, 5.3, 5.5, 6.0, 8.3, 6.7, 7.7, 9.4, 6.3, 7.2, 8.0, 6.8, 5.9, 10.0, 5.7
a. What weight is found in the 75th percentile?
b. What percentile of newborns that weighed over 5.9 lbs.?
4. What type of statistics is used to explain data in ways that are manageable and easily understood?
A) Percentile statistics
B) Definitive statistics
C) Descriptive statistics
D) Inferential statistics
5. The Physical Therapy department in Brown Hospital pulled the following sample of patients that received physical therapy for Adhesive Capsulitis of the Shoulder (Diagnosis code 726.0). The data represents the number of PT hours the patients received before being released.
Using the data in the table below, determine the following:
a. What is the Mean (to one decimal place)?
b. What is the Range?
c. What is the Variance (to one decimal place)?
d. What is the Standard Deviation (to one decimal place)?
e. What is the Median?
# of Physical Therapy Days
6. What are the four types or scales of measurement of categorical data?
A) Ratio, Interval, Metric, & Minimal
B) Nominal, Ordinal, Periodic, & Relative
C) Nominal, Ordinal, Rational, & Interval
D) Ratio, Interval, Nominal, & Ordinal
7. What scale of measurement is depicted in the “Lab Results” below?
1 = HIV Positive
2 = HIV Negative
3 = HIV Inconclusive
8. You have fallen and injured your ankle. The emergency room doctor has asked you to describe your pain level using the following 1 to 5 scale. What type scale is depicted below?
0 = No pain
1 = Mild pain
2 = Discomforting
3 = Distressing
4 = Intense
5 = Excruciating
9. In a clinical trial of a new pancreatic stimulant for Type II diabetes, the __________ hypothesis might be “The new pancreatic stimulant is no better, on average, than the current pancreatic stimulants.” This type of hypothesis can also be stated as, “There is no difference between the two pancreatic stimulants on average.”
10. A clinical drug trial is being conducted on a group of men between the ages of 50 and 60 who have BPH. The hypothesis was that the men receiving the new drug would show significant shrinkage in the size of their prostate than those who received a placebo.
a. Develop a Null Hypothesis for the above scenario.
b. Develop and Alternate Hypothesis for the above scenario.