Then, type your answers to Chapter Review Questions 1-11 at the end of the chapter.
1. What historical events gave rise to Athens establishing democracy for its citizens?
2. Who was Draco, and what did he do in Athens?
3. Under whose reign did Athens enjoy its greatest glory, and why?
4. Who was Plato, and what form of inquiry did he advocate?
5. Who was Aristotle, and what is he most noted for?
6. What did the Romans borrow from the Greeks and how did they improve upon it?
7. Why was Cicero considered to be the greatest Roman orator?
8. What did Quintilian contribute to the art of persuasion?
9. What role did rhetoric play in education in the Middle Ages?
10. The Renaissance gave birth to the Humanists and Rationalists. Can you describe
the differences between the two and name two representatives from each and their
contributions to persuasion?
11. What is the “epistemological tradition” and who best represent this movement?
to read Chapter 17 of Public Speaking: the Virtual Text and then, IN YOUR OWN WORDS (not copied from the textbook) answer the following questions, numbered and written in paragraph form:
1. Explain what epideictic speaking is and discuss the influence of epideictic speaking on what we know about special occasion speaking today. Give at least one example of your own.
2. Briefly list and describe each type of special occasion speech covered in the chapter.
3. What are the most important guidelines for an effective after-dinner speech?
4. What role should humor play in a special occasion speech? What steps can you take to use humor effectively?