Supporting a learner through English language development requires an intentional focus on the English language, in addition to the content being addressed.
Arrange the clinical field experience for this course in a K-8 or 9-12 school setting that includes English language learners in which you observe and collaborate with a certified teacher. Prior to the clinical field experience, review the requirements of all clinical field experiences for this course. Create a document to share with your mentor teacher detailing these requirements and what is being requested of the mentor. This document should include the scheduling required to complete all assignments.
Allocate at least 5 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Part 1: Interview and Observation
Discuss language instruction of ELLs with your mentor teacher. You may consult other teachers at your field experience site to gather additional information if needed. Include the following in your discussion:
· How do you address language form (vocabulary, grammar, and discourse specific to a particular content area) and language function (the purposes for communication/use of language in academic and social contexts) in your classroom?
· How do you address the relationship between verbal and written expression in your classroom?
· What strategies do you implement to support the various language needs of ELLs?
· How do you provide ELLs with content area instruction that meets grade level expectations, while supporting their English language development?
· Plan at least two additional questions to discuss with the teacher.
Observe at least one classroom in a K-8 or 9-12 school setting with ELLs. Pay special attention to how the teacher includes the forms and functions of language in instruction. Take note of the language supports provided to all students and the targeted/additional supports provided to ELLs.
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the mentor teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
Part 2: Plan and Reflect
Following the observation, identify with your mentor teacher a student or group of students with ELL needs you are able to work with in future field experiences. You will be working with the students in two additional field experiences. Discuss the needs of the students and how you can best assist in supporting their language acquisition needs during time in the mentor’s classroom.
Write a 250-500 word reflection summarizing your observations and discussions. Include how you will support the student or group of students in additional field experiences.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.