1) What parts of King’s Montgomery Boycott speech received the most enthusiastic reception from his audience? (There is an error in the document I posted. The speech ends at the bottom of the left hand column on page 2. The right column is from another document, so please ignore it.)
2) In what ways does King appeal for white support for the boycott?
3) What does Johnson mean when he says, “freedom is not enough”?
4) Why does Johnson argue that “Negro poverty” is fundamentally different from “white poverty”? Do you think it is possible for there to be two different types of poverty? Explain.
5) What features of American society seem most to trouble the authors of the Port Huron Statement? How would you define the phrase “a democracy of individual participation”?