For this project, you will be asked to do some online “shopping” for goods and services (tours, “experiences”, etc.) that use pseudoarchaeology to promote their claims, whether these are related to a specific religion, belief system (i.e., New Age), or are dietary in nature (the Paleo Diet).
Identify two (2) products or services and put together a presentation addressing the following questions:
- What is your product/service? What claims are being made about it?
- How are these claims supported by “archaeological evidence”?
- What is the validity of the scientific arguments and evidence used in the advertising for the products/services. Are there any logical fallacies, problems in thinking, problems in argumentation?
- Is cultural appropriation involved in the advertising of the product? Which culture(s) is being borrowed from?
- Besides cultural appropriation, what may be the harm in buying and using the product (to yourself or to others)?
To help contextualize this project, watch the following video clip from John Oliver’s show Last Week Tonight: