This assignment asks you to work with some of the key skills we’ve practiced so far: close reading; interpretation; critical thinking; and analysis.
Assignment Instructions: Write a 7-8 paragraph essay of around 4-5 (double-spaced) pages in which you briefly) summarize, then analyze, and respond critically to one of the below readings: George Packer, “Sam Walton/Jay Z” (RA 350-362) Barbara Ehrenreich, “Serving in Florida” (RA 363-376) Gregory Mantsios, “Class in America – 2012” (RA 377-397) Your essay will need to have a thesis statement located at the end of your introductory paragraph. This will offer your overall argument.
Further Information: A summary requires close, careful reading. A good summary (WR A1-c) explains the essential points of the text to someone who hasn’t read it. However, a good summary is also very brief. You will probably have to draft and re-draft to cut your summary down. Analysis (WR A1-d; A1-e) examines how a text makes it point. An analysis typically takes the form of an essay that makes its own arguments about a text. A critical response (WR A1-d) presents your judgment of a piece of writing with a thesis (WR C2-a) and specific examples from the text. Be sure to include an establishing sentence in your opening paragraph. In it, give the title of the reading and the author’s name and present the author’s main idea. In your thesis, be sure to communicate your main idea about the text or your primary judgment of the text.
Example Essay (WR A1-e). Use “Rethinking Big Box Stores” as a model for your essay. However, please note that this example is a 5 paragraph essay, and you are being instructed to write more than 5 paragraphs.
Make sure the final version of your essay has:
• Strong introduction and conclusion.
• Adequate number of body paragraphs developing and supporting your position
• Properly integrated source materials (quotations, summaries, paraphrases)
• MLA in-text references for all quotations, summaries and paraphrases.
Guidelines: • Papers should be typed in a clear 12-point font such as Times New Roman.
• Double space the document and include 1 inch margins.
• Include your name, the date, the course and the assignment title on the first page.
• Include your name on every page thereafter.
• Number all pages consecutively and staple them together.