This should assist with the answers for the “interviews”. I’ve included a job description of the ESE Supervisor Teacher which is one person I’d like to interview. This person is listed as the (ESE Chair) which is the person who oversees the IEP meeting. Another interviewee is the General Education Teacher, you can simply find information about the teacher. You will have to include transition services (all listed within the document) since I’m interviewing secondary teachers.
The role of the special education teacher is collaborative and requires a specific skill set and understanding of the laws and regulations related to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), the IEP process, and implementation of the IEP. Additionally, special education teachers frequently collaborate, communicate, and co-teach with general education teachers to provide educational services for students with exceptionalities. Developing understanding of the roles and responsibilities of special and general education teachers in the IEP process and delivery of services to students with exceptionalities is of primary importance in professional practice.
In person or via phone, interview a certified special education teacher and a general education teacher specific to a grade range relevant to your program of study. Your interview notes will be submitted as part of the assignment deliverable.
In the interviews, address the following:
· Describe your role in the IEP process.
· Summarize the steps that should be followed prior to creating an IEP for an individual with disabilities.
· Describe how you involve parents/guardians and students in the special education process.
· Describe strategies that can be used to ensure confidentiality of information and instill trust with parents/guardians. Discuss other legal, ethical, and policy responsibilities teachers have related to the educational, developmental, and medical services for individuals with disabilities and their parents/guardians.
· Explain how you offer support to parents/guardians of individuals with disabilities. Include discussion of specific types of support and resources you typically provide.
· Describe how you collaborate with the school psychologist and administration as team members in the special education process.
· Describe the special education resources and training provided by your district.
· Explain how you collect data for IEP progress monitoring.
· Describe the collaboration between special education and general education teachers to meet the needs of students.